IHC ONLINE SUBMISSION FOR GRANTS
READ INSTRUCTIONS BELOW AND CLICK LINK TO APPLY ONLINE
If you have set up an account and begun the application process previously, you may login to the site to access the draft or to access any grant follow-up reports for funded projects.
Please review instructions below before beginning the online application process. Note the page limits for each type of application. Refer to #7 for information about fonts and using CAPS to emphasize. Refer to #8 for instructions about submitting a draft of your application for staff review.
GRANT DEADLINES: JANUARY 15 AND SEPTEMBER 15
Applicants interested in applying for a grant should first review the grant guidelines on this website. The next step is to contact IHC staff firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss project ideas.
IHC strongly advises all applicants to submit proposal rough drafts to staff approximately one month ahead of the final deadline, so that staff can review the draft, anticipate Council member questions, and make recommendations for improving the final submission. Applicants are urged to contact staff well before the draft deadline to discuss their proposal ideas. Often, staff can supply a similar proposal that has been successful in the past for the applicant to use as a model. See #7 below for instructions on submitting a draft for review.
IHC offers three grant categories: Mini and Major Grants, Teacher Incentive Grants, and Research Fellowship Grants. The guidelines provide descriptions of these categories.
After reviewing the grant guidelines, follow the steps outlined below. PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO PAGE LIMITS FOR APPLICATION NARRATIVES (as noted in the grant guidelines and in the online application section instructions).
1. When you click on the Apply Online link below, you will be directed to a login page. If you do not have an account already set up in the IHC system, click the “create new account” button. (It is strongly recommended that you click here for more detailed instructions about creating an account.) You will enter contact and organization information when you create a new account. Remember, if you have set up an account and begun the application process previously, you may login to the site and begin a new application by clicking on the "Apply" link at the left side of the screen. It is not necessary (nor advised) to create a new account for each application.
2. The first section should be completed with your organization information.
3. The next section should be completed with your contact information. We will identify this person as the project director. This is the individual who will have the primary responsibility for carrying out the project activities and who will be the main contact person for communications with IHC staff. The project director’s email address will be your login name. If the mailing address is a PO Box, please include street addresses as well.
4. The last section asks for the executive of the organization. This person will be the authorizing official of the primary sponsoring organization. The authorizing official may be the same as the project director, but the project director and fiscal agent must be different people. Please make sure you include address information for the sponsoring organization when setting up the account. If the mailing address is a PO Box, please include street addresses as well. The mini and major grants require a fiscal agent. You will complete contact information for the fiscal agent as part of the mini and major grant application itself.
5. The last step is to enter a secure password for your account. This can be edited and changed later as needed. To edit your contact information after you have logged in, click on your name in the upper right corner of the screen. Contact the IHC office if you forget your password – we can reset it.
6. Once you have completed the contact information, you will be directed to an application page. You may edit your contact information here or click on the apply link to begin the application process.
7. To apply, complete each question in the space provided. You may copy from a Word document and paste into the text area for each question. (This is encouraged since it is easier to proof and spell check in Word.) Save your copy before you exit ("Save as Draft" button is at bottom of each page); you may continue to work on the application as often as you wish before submitting. There are upload links to allow you to send supporting documents. If the space allowed on a particular question is not sufficient, you may make additional comments in the "additional comments" space provided at the end of that group of questions, or in a word document attached as one of your supporting documents.
The online grant management system does not have font selections and will not retain any special fonts, bold or italics that you copy and paste from a Word document. All copy is changed to the default font. We suggest CAPITALIZING words, titles of books, and other selections that need special emphasis.
8. To submit a draft: Complete the application and save as draft. Email Rick Ardinger at email@example.com, and let him know you would like input on your draft.
You should submit the draft application well before the final deadline if you want staff input (we suggest allowing at least one month). We cannot guarantee a staff response to rough drafts submitted after January 1 for the January 15 deadline, or after September 1 for the September 15 deadline.
9. Upon receipt of staff input, you may log back into the system and change the application as needed.
10. You must then submit your final application (by hitting the submit button) by the due date in order for it to be considered by the board. Once you submit the application, you may log back in and view it, but will not be able to make changes.
11. You may print your application by clicking on the "Application Packet" link and opening or downloading the pdf document.
12. DECISIONS - All applicants are notified of award decisions in writing. Approval packets are sent in early March or November via email (sent to email address on application). Emails are sent from the online site. Please make sure your email provider will accept emails from firstname.lastname@example.org. When you reply to an email from this site, it will go to an IHC staff member.
Grant guidelines are also available by contacting IHC. Email email@example.com to have them sent to you, or contact us by mail or fax:
Idaho Humanities Council
217 W. State Street
Boise, Idaho 83702
(208) 345-5347 (FAX)