1001 State Street
McCall ID 83638
McCall Arts and Humanities Council will be hosting a series of discussions in the study and application of our humanity in relation to our environment. These talks will be held at the Central Idaho Historical Museum’s Carpenter Shop. Built in 1937 and recently restored it is the perfect backdrop to reflect on preservation, restoration, heritage and what it means to leave a legacy. Guest speakers will give a presentation in their field of expertise and then will open up to guests for questions and comments.
The South Fork of the Salmon River was home to many early settlers who arrived in Idaho to mine and then remained to build lives on the river. Simeon Willey was one of those settlers. When the land opened to homesteading in the early 1900s, Sim and his family staked a claim on the east side of the South Fork, a little over four miles downstream from what we now know as Lick Creek Road. They built a successful homestead, living on the land from 1895 until 1940.
On her first trip down the main Salmon River, Kathy Deinhardt Hill was taken by the beauty and history of the isolated area. That trip led to her first book, Spirits of the Salmon River, which details the people who lived, died, and are buried on the river. For the past several years, she has been researching homesteads on the South Fork, an area settled by determined, resilient, and interesting individuals. They have stories worth telling.
If you have a flyer or any additional materials, please include them either at the end of this form or in the email.