The CCC in Idaho: Building Our State While Supporting People in Hard Times
In the late 30s, the Civilian Conservation Corps, popularly known as the CCC, built the Ski Round House on “Baldy” and several ski runs during the founding years of the Sun Valley ski resort. Working out of Camp Warm Springs northwest of Ketchum, the CCC “boys” also built the Ketchum Ranger Station, campgrounds, and various roads such as the one along Trail Creek.
They were the local manifestation of a three-million-man program, the most popular and longest lived of the New Deal programs initiated by the Roosevelt administration to mitigate the impact of the Great Depression in the 1930s. In all, 86,775 men worked for the CCC in Idaho during the 10 years from 1933 – 1942. The CCC changed their lives and the vitality of Idaho’s economy and society.
Nelson and Hart will show how the legacy of the CCC reflects not only the history of the Great Depression, but sheds light on the very contemporary issues of fighting wild fires, use of federal land, and national service.